Information for guests with confirmed Airbnb reservations
- Location of 1344 California Street. Google map showing location of the apartment.
- Entry to 1344 California Street. Instructions for how to let yourself into the apartment in the event I am not reachable when you arrive.
- Getting here from SFO by car or public transit. Google map and directions from San Francisco airport.
- Getting here from OAK by car or public transit. Google map and directions from Oakland airport.
- Other airport transportation options. A website with comparison quotes for shuttles and limos. The zip code here is 94703.
- Visitor Guide to the Apartment. A printed copy of this 56-page user manual will be waiting for you on the desk in the living room, but you can read it in advance here.
- Airbnb listing for this apartment.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: What is the nearest BART stop?
A: North Berkeley. It’s a 10-minute walk, see map.
From BART: Out of the station head left to Virginia Street. On Virginia Street head right (uphill) maybe 60 yards to Sacramento Street (four-lane street with green divider). Turn left. Go on Sacramento Street three blocks to the second traffic light, which is Rose Street. Turn right. Go to the first stop sign (California Street), turn left (downhill). Your destination is the third house on the left side.
To BART: Out of the apartment gate turn right (uphill). Turn right at the corner (Rose Street, downhill). Turn left at the light (Sacramento Street). Go three blocks to Virginia Street – you’ll see the parking lot, ‘BA’ signs and the station building on your right.
BART train schedules are here. When is the next BART train from here to San Francisco? Click here.
Q: How do I get a taxi in Berkeley?
A: There are quite a few local taxi companies, for example:
Q: What buses are available near the apartment:
A: AC Transit operates all the local buses; its web site is actransit.org. This has schedules, fares, and maps. The following bus lines stop nearby:
- Line H stops on the side of the Espresso Roma (corner of Monterey Avenue & Hopkins Street) This is a commuter express bus to downtown San Francisco that runs during commute hours. Details. (Note: California Street becomes Monterey Avenue when it crosses Hopkins Street.)
- Line 25 stops at the side of the Monterey Market (Hopkins Street corner of California Street) and diagonally across the street from it. This line runs a loop that includes the downtown Berkeley BART station (a block from the UC campus), upper Solano Avenue, and the El Cerrito Plaza BART station. One side of the street runs the loop clockwise, the other runs it counterclockwise. Details.
- Line 52 stops in front of the Friends Church, corner of Sacramento and Cedar, and goes up University Avenue; it then makes a complete clockwise loop of the UC Berkeley campus. Details.
- Line 51B stops at University Avenue and California Street and goes between the Berkeley Marina and the Rockridge BART station, passing by the south side of the UC campus. It also stops at the Berkeley Amtrak station. Details.
- Line 688 stops on Sacramento near the corner of Rose and runs to parts of Oakland via the Montclair district. It is open to all passengers but runs only during school hours. Details.
Q: Where can I rent a bicycle?
A: Three nearby bike rental places are:
Berkeley Bikes and Skateboards
1227 San Pablo Ave
Wheels of Justice Cyclery
1554 Solano Ave
Bike Station Downtown Berkeley
2208 Shattuck Ave
Q: What’s the weather in Berkeley right now?
A: Here’s a great webcam overlooking Berkeley, with links to forecasts and related info
Here’s the ten-day forecast for Berkeley, for what it’s worth (sometimes not a lot!)
Q: What hiking or running trails are available in Berkeley?
A: Try these:
- Search yelp.com for “hiking trails berkeley california” or “tilden regional park”