In 2011 I am celebrating 25 years as a California attorney. I am a graduate of Boalt Hall School of Law, 1986. After 15 years of practicing from an office in downtown Oakland, I now work from an office in my home in North Berkeley.
I take selected cases in certain specific practice areas, see below. I accept cases that are the right size for me to handle, where the cause is worthy, and where I like the client(s). Because of low overhead, I can keep my rates within reason.
My clients get my full personal attention. I am a solo practitioner. I have gone up against some of the biggest firms in the business and held up my end in the paper wars. I can do that because I have an organized mind, a strong academic background, good research skills, and I type faster than most legal secretaries. I know my way around computers. I don’t intimidate easily. I love helping the underdog win.
- In the intellectual property area, I handle cases involving copyright, trademark, and trade secret issues. I do trademark registrations and trademark litigation in the Trademark Office and in the federal courts. I do copyright consultation and copyright litigation in the federal courts. I don’t do patent law. See the Intellectual Property section of this website for details.
- In the tenant law area, I handle cases involving serious habitability issues or discrimination and harassment issues. I generally defend evictions only in connection with affirmative suits for damages on account of habitability, discrimination, harassment or personal injuries caused by conditions on the premises. I don’t represent landlords. See the Tenant’s Rights section of this website for details.
- In the personal injury area, I handle medium-size cases. If your medical bills are less than $5,000, it might not be economical for me to take your case. If your injuries are extremely serious and liability is contested, I will probably refer you to your choice of big plaintiff’s personal injury firms who have the necessary resources to hire the required high-priced experts. Anything in between, I’ll consider. See the Personal Injury area of this website for details.
- In the nonprofit area, I can help you incorporate and apply for federal charitable status under §501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. I can help you file your Form 990 and I may be able to assist you with licensing, mergers, and related issues. See the Nonprofit section of this website for more.
- If you think you have grounds for an appeal in a civil case, I will look at your case and tell you quickly whether I think it’s within my competence. I’m not an appellate specialist but I have strong research and writing skills and may be able to be of service to you in this area. I don’t do criminal law at any level. Please see the Appeals area.
- I am developing new areas of interest currently in a specialized area of family law arising from the case of Marriage of Gillmore. I am also working toward professional competence in constitutional law around the Establishment and Free Exercise clauses of the First Amendment. If you have issues in this area, I might want to work with you. Please see the “Other Areas” section of this website for details.
My clients get my cell phone number and can call me 24/7 in an emergency. If appropriate, I will set up a private section on this website for your case, protected by a password, where you can look up your current case status and review documents in your file. If you have a legal issue that may fit in with what I do, please get in touch.